Monday, July 11, 2011

Kiwi Lime Cupcakes

I was in the mood to bake tonight. I have a ton of kiwi so I went on a search for something kiwi to bake. This can be a challenge because kiwi is not a fruit that is typically used to bake. I ended up choosing a kiwi cupcake and adapted a recipe that I found on a food blog. The cake batter is a vanilla base with kiwi puree in it. I had to thicken the kiwi so that it would be noticeable in the batter. I had extra puree so I decided to make a kiwi compote with a little sugar and cornstarch. Once the cupcakes cooled I filled them with puree and then topped it with a lime cream cheese frosting. YUM! Here's the recipe.


Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
3 kiwis pureed
3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
pinch salt
4 T. butter, room temp.
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 t. vanilla
2 T. milk

Filling:
1 kiwi pureed
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. cornstarch

Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, cold
4 T. butter, softened
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. lime zest
juice from 1/2 lime

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.

Peel and chop 4 kiwis. puree. In a small saucepan, heat puree over medium low heat until it thickens to about 1/2 c. The color will darken.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Cream the butter until pale and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until smooth (1-2 min). Add egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add milk and 1/4 c. of thickened puree until just combined. (if the puree is still hot make sure you add gradually and mix quickly so that the egg doesn't cook.)

Spoon into cupcake pan and bake: 8-10 min. for mini cupcakes or 20-22 min. for regular size.

Thicken the remaining puree so that it can be used for filling. Place the saucepan over medium heat and add sugar and cornstarch. Stir constantly until the puree thickens to a compote texture.

Once cupcakes are baked transfer them to a cooling rack to be filled. I used a squirt bottle and plunge it into the cupcake and squeeze pulling up. You can also use a pastry bag or cut a cone shaped hole and fill the cupcake.

Frosting:

Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1/4 c. at a time, scraping bowl sides each time. Add lime juice and zest and beat until smooth and combined. Frost cupcakes once they have cooled.

6 comments:

  1. Sweet blog, Emily!! Your mom sent me the link...love it! (and the cupcakes sound like they have potential to be addicting!)Looking forward to your posts....
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily, you're so amazing. This looks delicious. I miss you. Wish you were hear. The blog is a great idea. I think I might start one too. Your Picture at the top is beautiful. You two are so cute together. Wish we could be closer. Hope to see you soon. Love you. Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I was looking at that picture again. It almost doesn't look real. Lol Its a great pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly- Thank you so much. I'm glad you like it (I have a little bit of blog insecurity lol). It was an idea on a whim so I'm sure it won't be the best but it gives me something to do in the evenings and I know my mom enjoys it :)

    Renee- I miss you too. You definitely need to start a blog! I would love it and I know your mom would too! I enjoy reading blogs way more than facebook. Plus even though we can't be closer it would make us feel like we are! I love you guys so much. Kiss baby Alec for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh i will give him a big hug and kiss for you. He is getting so big. I hope you get to see him sometime soon. I have already started making my blog, it's kinda complicated but I will get there. Yours is so good. :) Oh and by the way I am def. making these cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do it they are delicious! I love you new blog too :) It's so fun that you made one too. It got me all excited today lol. I'm a nerd.

    ReplyDelete